Current Board of Directors
Directors of Peg City Car Co-op are elected by members at the Annual General Meeting. Interested in getting involved? Contact us at (204) 793-3912 or email@example.com.
- Heather Sadowy, President
- Sean Madden, Vice President
- Liz Dykman Secretary
- Mike Moreau, Treasurer
- Beth McKechnie, Member at Large
- Dayna Kroeker, Member at Large
- Janice Barry, Member at Large
- Kate Taylor, Member at Large
Staff members include:
- Beth McKechnie, Managing Director
- Aaron Russin, Operations Manager
- James Cook, Member Services Coordinator
From the Beginning…
In July 2007, a group of five volunteers with personal and professional interest in sustainable transportation met to discuss the potential for establishing a carshare program in Winnipeg. In Manitoba, transportation is the largest contributor to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and represents almost half of the personal emission for households.
For Winnipeg residents, transportation costs, including vehicle ownership and operation, are the second largest household expenditure after shelter. The concept of carsharing, in which individuals gain the benefits of private vehicle use without the costs and responsibilities of ownership, serves to address both of these issues. It is an important missing element in the array of sustainable transportation options in Winnipeg.
Funded by Manitoba Conservation’s Sustainable Development Initiatives Fund (SDIF), the Winnipeg Carshare Feasibility Study (pdf) assessed whether the Winnipeg context was suitable for carsharing. The study determined that carsharing is a feasible option in Winnipeg, the co-operative model is the preferred organizational structure, and the Osborne Village area is the optimal neighbourhood in which to launch a carshare, followed by the Broadway-Assiniboine area.
Peg City Car Co-op officially launched on Bike To Work Day, June 24th 2011. At launch we owned three vehicles and had well surpassed our starting goal of 36 members.
This project had been years in the making! Thanks goes out to the efforts of our tireless Board and the continuous support of our membership – without their initial interest we would not have been able to accomplish this and any other achievement since.
Funders and Partners
A big thank you to the many good folks who helped, and are still helping, Peg City Car Co-op get off the ground and running. From volunteers and board members, to funding agencies and partners, and to other carshares across Canada who provided guidance, we say thanks!
- Cooperative Development Initiative
- Manitoba Cooperative Association
- Canadian Co-operative Association
- Assiniboine Credit Union
- The Jubilee Fund
- Manitoba Conservation (SDIF, MCCAF)
- Manitoba Housing and Community Development, Cooperative Development Services
- Manitoba Cooperative Promotion Board
- The Co-operators
- St. Mary’s Rd United Church
- Red River Co-Operative Ltd.
- SEED Winnipeg
- The CarSharing Association
- The Federation of Canadian Carsharing Co-operatives
- CAA Manitoba
- Winnipeg U-Drive
- Stonebridge Development Corp.
- Winnipeg Parking Authority
- Canada Safeway
- Daniel McIntyre St. Matthews Community Association
- Green Action Centre
- Winnipeg Social Purchasing Portal
- modo. the car co-op
- Grand River CarShare
- Victoria Car Share Co-op